rebuild 90yo walkway

Old 09-28-19, 10:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rebuild 90yo walkway

Hello All,

I don't think I've posted here in ages, and this is work I've never tackled, but would like to.

I have a 3' wide by 20' long by 90 year old field stone walkway and I need some advice on putting in new base and bedding, currently it's just dirt underneath.

I really like the current position, and curves, so I would really like to install edging before taking it apart, but then I cant extend my base past the width of the stones. Would that be okay, or am I just begging for it to fall apart?

Any advice on how best to go about this?

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-19, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
First, I would probably set up several stringlines as a reference and make a scale drawing of the outline of your path.

Then assuming you have room next to the path, just take each stone out one by one, placing it to one side, maybe 6 feet away. Place each stone down on the ground in the exact way it is now. Doing this will prevent you from getting anything mixed up and in the end you should be able to pretty much maintain the same exact shape.

Then do your excavating extending just a foot or 18" or so beyond each side, (keep the same basic shape of your path) add drainage if needed, then fill with your compacted rock (with fines) base, then once it's prepared, transfer your stones back, and do your edging last when you are ready to backfill.

Old 09-28-19, 11:06 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the ideas. Setting it up exactly, but to the side should do the trick. I'll admit, I had hoped you'd say its fine to limit the base since it lasted 90 years just on soil.

another thought I had is to stake in the edging with some straight rod so it could be lifted off. I would do this in addition to setting the stones to the side in the correct position. Do you think it would be much trouble to work around some rods while prepping the base?