Cinderblock retaining wall

Old 10-06-19, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cinderblock retaining wall

Living in Hawaii, the retaining wall between me and my neighbor has broken down. It is tilting 10 degrees and cracked to the ground and the top two rows of cinder blocks are broken off and fallen over. How do we repair this load bearing wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-19, 04:29 PM
Received 95 Votes on 86 Posts
Cinder blocks are really good for vertical loading but they dont do well for side loading plus they are really not intended to be used as a retaining wall!

Old 10-06-19, 04:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 194 Votes on 180 Posts
Sounds like a complete rebuild is in order... I doubt it can be saved. You didn't say how tall the wall was, or how many courses high. I agree cmu isn't the best, but if it had been reinforced properly with both horizontal and vertical rebar, ladder reinforcement, with horizontal bond beams and cores filled solid every X feet, it should not have failed.

Here is an example that would not fail. https://images.app.goo.gl/mP2EDNgiFEEdgTN4A

Unfortunately, some try to use 4" block, which just aren't the right product to use if you want a retaining wall.

Then there are the actual retaining wall blocks, which are also far superior to what you evidentally have.