Need tips on how to paint fireplace brick

Old 06-03-01, 08:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello,

We recently bought a house, and one of the first projects we want to work on is painting the fireplace brick.

I've never painted brick before. I'm guessing there is a special kind of paint/primer one would use? Are there any advantages to painting it or leaving it as is? One thing concerns me...right now, there is soot stain on the brick above the insert. Of course, I would clean that off before painting, however, if it continued to leave soot stains, would the kind of paint we use be able to stand up to routine cleaning?

Also, color. The brick is red now...just your standard fireplace brick. Can anyone offer rules of thumb regarding choosing a color for a project like this?

Thank you in advance...I'm new here and you all seem like a nice helpful bunch of people. Glad to be aboard!

Puddlehopper

Old 06-18-01, 05:37 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi, we also recently bought a house and one of the first things we did was paint over the multi-colored bricks. I wanted the color to be brick (terracotta) red. I found a can of concrete enamel and the salesman said it would work on brick also, and it came out very nice. The fireplace looks brand new, and I only purchased a small quart can. So thats the type of paint I would use.

I did see other colors of the concrete enamel, so the choice of what you want is up to you. We stayed with the brick-type color. Hope this helps.

Old 06-20-01, 08:56 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Kingswood! I'll be sure to check that out.

Appreciate your help!

Puddlehopper

Old 07-20-01, 01:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi Puddlehopper,
As an option to painting over the brick, there are products out there that will restore the brick to it's original new clean look.

I just bought a house where the brick in the fireplace was painted over, and I'm really sorry they did that. Now I have to take it all off, and because it's poreous, that's not an easy task. I wish they had either cleaned it, or left it alone.

Anyway, for what it's worth. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

vanOs

Old 07-25-01, 01:51 PM
Visiting Guest
VanOs
I am trying to take the paint off bricks in my fireplace too and finding it very difficult. I have used a regular paint stripper and a heat gun and some of it comes off but not all and not easily.

Do you know of something that can help me? I know there is at least 3-4 coats of paint to be removed.

Thanks.

Old 07-25-01, 02:38 PM
Visiting Guest
sonmack,
I haven't yet attempted to remove the paint so I can't talk from experiece. I do know you can either strip it, or blast it off (sand blasting I presume, or maybe with a pressure washing). I recommend you post your question in the paint department. Someone there once answered my question regarding stripping paint off of bricks. I think the product they recommended was Peel Away (or something like that) but I haven't done it yet.

Good luck,
vanOs

Old 07-26-01, 07:16 AM
Visiting Guest
vanOs
Thanks for the suggestion. I will make that post in painting. I'm desperate!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: