Best way to build cement form without using stakes?

Old 11-30-19, 08:32 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Best way to build cement form without using stakes?

Need to add about 2 -3 inch lip on one side of my garage to keep water from getting in. There is already a slab there so I canít drive stakes in. Just looking for ideas for best plan of action. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-19, 08:45 AM
Received 367 Votes on 342 Posts
So concrete does not bond well with existing concrete and the thinner/smaller the pour the worst it gets.

If this is something your going to drive over it's probably going to fail pretty quick!

Old 11-30-19, 11:01 AM
M
Not driving over it ..itís never going to see any kind of traffic Iím just looking for a way to keep water seeping in from side of my garage ..Iím going to hopefully pour a lip of a few inches to just keep it away from entering garage

Last edited by maxdro; 11-30-19 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-30-19, 11:31 AM
D
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Votes on 38 Posts
First, I am not a concrete guy so, if my suggestions are wrong I welcome any professionals to correct my idea's.

3" of concrete shouldnt be that heavy. I'd try using some brick or heavy objects (even house blocks) of some sort just to set on the ground behind the form. I'd think for just 3" of concrete, it wont take long to get it poured &/or get it finished. So, If I didnt have any blocks heavy enough to hold the form in place, I'd look at pouring it as dry as I could. I would think the dryer it is, the stiffer it will be. It should be easier to stay in place & not want to "run" as much or push against the form.

If I am wrong on any ideas here, I'd get some long 2X4's (like 16 ft) & run them at an angle from the form, out to the grass/soil, and block the 2x4 braces with a stake out there. Even if I had to join 2 or 3 2x4's to get to soil outside of the concrete. Again, I wouldnt think a 3" strip of concrete would push very hard on a 2X form.

Again, if my ideas are not productive, maybe it'll give you or someone some ideas through another avenue. Its what I'd try though if I didnt have any experienced help on hand.

Old 11-30-19, 12:14 PM
M
Received 157 Votes on 144 Posts
I would not use concrete.
A 2 inch lip of concrete will just crack and fall apart in a couple years.
I would use a pressure treated 2X2 or 2X3.
Calk it underneath so when you bolt/screw it down the calk squeezes out and can be wiped off,

If you are putting it against the garage wall then it should have a drip edge along the top so water running down the wall cannot get between it and the wall.

Old 11-30-19, 01:19 PM
M
Dixie óI had similar thoughts to all ideas you had so they might used.Thanks

Manden-honestly never thought of that. So simple and easy .Iím going to try that first before the concrete.Thanks

Old 11-30-19, 02:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
I would get a garage hump. They are rubber or vinyl so you don't have to worry about rot. They are hump shaped so less a trip hazard. And, it can be glued down to your floor.

Old 11-30-19, 07:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 667 Votes on 617 Posts
I don't know why people think concrete keeps water out. You will still have a gap /joint where it meets the garage. Instead of concrete you could probably accomplish the same thing only better with a metal flashing, sealed to the concrete if needed, tucked under the siding.

Old 12-13-19, 01:21 PM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
new concrete DOES indeed bond to existing conc otherwise there'd not be 1,000's of guys overlaying/repairing driveway,,, nor would there be products available to promote aforemention adhesion,,, the operable word is 'concrete' - as used by marq1, standard conc does have trouble if not done correctly,,, then again, so does polymer-modified conc if present conc's not prepp'd right,,, in your described problem, i'd 2nd sleeper's post provided you drain collected wtr to lower ground