Concrete patching over drain tile installation.

Old 12-21-19, 12:59 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Concrete patching over drain tile installation.

I am getting ready to concrete over my drain tile installation it is 16" wide 4" deep by 75' long. I will be mixing 80 pound bags by Hand with a 45 minute working time. I do not plan on doing it all at one time so I have a few questions. Is it ok to start and stop? Do need to do anything at my stopping point? Do I need to wait a certain amount of time before starting again? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-19, 01:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 392 Posts
Anytime you pour new against old you will have a cold joint which means there will likely be a fine crack there in time. It's not a problem, just the way it is. When you stop, I would probably just cut off the excess in a straight line and flick the excess away so that once you start again your cold joint is straight and at least 2 or 3" deep.

As long as you keep going though, mix the new concrete with the old where one mixed bag joins another. You can usually avoid a cold joint that way, provided it's been only 30 minutes or so since the last pour.

Mix it wet enough that you aren't working harder than you have to. Not like soup, but not too stiff either.

Old 12-21-19, 04:35 PM
M
Received 119 Votes on 111 Posts
Why not just rent or borrow a mixer.
Your aching back and arms are worth a few dollars.

If using premix then getting cement and gravel would probably cover the cost of a rental or a bottle for a buddy.

Old 12-21-19, 06:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 429 Votes on 392 Posts
A plastic mixing tub is like $10 and you can mix it right there with a hoe and dump it in. It will take longer to get the bags and drag them all into the basement than it will take to mix and pour it.

Dont carry more bags down there than you need.