walkway with pebbles - resurface ?

Old 03-25-20, 10:52 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
walkway with pebbles - resurface ?

Hello,

I have an old walkway with pebbles (little rocks) and in some areas the concrete is not as high as before. So it leaves the little rocks very visible and it hurts my kid feet when they walk on it.

I saw lot of products to resurface concrete, but I don't know if it will work in my case ? As the surface is not flat at all ? Will it be enough to cover the holes and to not have the little rocks exceed ?

I added some pictures.

Thank you for your help

Alex

Attached Images    
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-20, 11:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 310 Posts
Concrete resurfacing is usually a temporary solution. Preparation and the thickness of the product application are the keys to the best results. The bond between the new and old concrete is prone to fail, since water will tend to cause the surface to break up. The best results will be had by powerwashing the old surface and rolling on a bonding agent. Follow bonding agent directions.

Certain acrylic bonding agents can also be added to certain topping mixes when the topping will be less than 1" thick... follow the directions of the product you choose as a topping mix. Thin applications and poorly prepared surfaces will cause the topping to fail quickly.

You also need to maintain the existing control joints, since the new topping will crack at each joint. You must edge these directly above the existing ones to control the joint.

So in your case, resurfacing at a 3/4 - 1" depth to cover up the stones would cause your sidewalk to be higher than the surrounding decking. And thinning out the resurfacer so that it does not raise the height measurably would cause the product to fail in short order.

Old 03-25-20, 12:08 PM
Received 192 Votes on 179 Posts
Concrete, especially outside, is not a product that is successfully repaired, best to toughen up them piggy's or consider replacing!

Old 03-26-20, 07:19 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
thank you for your advices. Replacing is of course much better but not sure I can do it myself !

Best

Alex