Drill hole through concrete block

Old 03-28-20, 04:50 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drill hole through concrete block

We have a concrete block wall in the back yard, 6 inches thick. It is the front wall of a terrace type planter that runs along the back fence, also made of concrete block. We want to run a inch PVC water pipe through it. The pipe OD seems to be about 1 1/16th inch. I prefer a hole a bit larger. We have a 3/8 drill motor. What type of bit do we need for a hole 1 1/3 to 2 inches in diameter? I am moderately handy but there may be some gotchas here.

After the pipe is run through and glued together, what type of concrete or mortar should be put around the pipe to close off the hole through the wall. Should the pipe have something around it to separate it from the hard concrete/mortar.

Thank you for your time

Last edited by bkelly13; 03-28-20 at 04:52 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-20, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,203 Votes on 1,113 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is this a hollow block..... like a cinder block wall ?

You can buy large size masonry drill bits but they are costly and will need a drill bigger than 3/8 to drive it. If it's a hollow block wall you can drill several small holes in a circle and then use a hammer and chisel to open and enlarge.

You can use any concrete mix to close the hole. The PVC is not affected by the concrete.

Largest size the depot carries is 1-1/8".......... Masonry bit

bkelly13 voted this post useful.
Old 03-28-20, 05:16 PM
J
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
If it's just a regular 3/8 drill it's going to take a really long time to drill the holes, really need a hammer drill, HD rents them.
Concrete mix will not work it has stones in it, idealy you would use Hydrolic cement, but constrution adhesive will work.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rapid-Se...1010/301015705

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 03-28-20, 05:54 PM
B
It is hollow block. Yeah, I like that idea. Drill some smaller then break out the pieces. Do the same from the other side. Get some mortar to patch it up.
I still would like something between the concrete and the pipe. The concrete becomes completely rigid and might be hard on the pipe. Maybe some thin foam around it. Am I being too cautious? Looked up that construction adhesive It might be the best. I presume it can be painted. I presume it remains somewhat flexible after it sets.

Old 03-28-20, 08:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 722 Votes on 668 Posts
For $30, Harbor Freight has a diamond hole saw set and a regular drill would probably work fine. But you would need to mark the hole location with a long hammer drill bit so that you can use the hole saw from each side of the wall. Drill a small hole in a water bottle and have someone dribble water on the cut as you drill. It will keep the dust down and extend the life of the bit.

Old 04-03-20, 05:51 PM
B
I used a 5/16 masonry bit, a 3/8 inch drill, drilled a ring of holes and knocked the center out on both sides. That worked well. Squirted water on the bit to keep it cool but it did not take long.
thank you for your time.

Old 04-03-20, 08:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,203 Votes on 1,113 Posts
Good job. Name:  thumb.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  1.6 KB Thanks for letting us know how you made out.