Paver walkway cost

Old 03-30-20, 04:27 PM
C
Received 56 Votes on 45 Posts
Paver walkway cost

I have a bid to install a 4'X90' paver walkway using Boston pavers in a running bond pattern over a compacted 4" paver sand base. The pavers cost around $5 - $6 s/f. The area where the walkway would go is already dug out and ready for paver sand. The bid was just under $11,000.
Is this as overpriced as I think it is? The landscaper said that industry standard costs for paver install is around $40-$45 s/f. Is he right? My math might be wrong but it looks like well under $3000 for material and nearly $8000 for labor and profit.

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

03-30-20, 04:42 PM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 441 Votes on 405 Posts
I am not a fan of installing pavers over just a sand base. I'm more a compacted stone base with sand on top sort of guy.

To me that price sounds high. I searched online for "paver patio installation cost" and found several calculators. This one allows you to enter your zip code and provides a high and low price so you can get some idea as to the cost range. Nothing even close to $40 a square foot especially for a simple pattern.

Old 03-30-20, 04:42 PM
P
Group Moderator
I am not a fan of installing pavers over just a sand base. I'm more a compacted stone base with sand on top sort of guy.

To me that price sounds high. I searched online for "paver patio installation cost" and found several calculators. This one allows you to enter your zip code and provides a high and low price so you can get some idea as to the cost range. Nothing even close to $40 a square foot especially for a simple pattern.

cwbuff, joecaption voted this post useful.
Old 03-30-20, 07:23 PM
C
Received 56 Votes on 45 Posts
Thanks for the link. Even allowing for some leeway in his estimate the link you provided was enough to convince me that this guy was simply seeing if I would bite. After I told him to take a hike he came back with a lot of "just a starting point" crap. Enough to convince me that he's one of those contractors that simply throw a price out there and see if the sucker will buy it. What really pisses me off are contractors that assume old equals stupid.

BTW I should have said paver base and not paver sand. That's what his proposal said and that's what I wanted. Now I'll try to hire some labor and do the job myself.

Old 03-31-20, 05:19 AM
P
Group Moderator
I really like doing paver patios and walks. It helps that I have the equipment to do the digging and help move the heavy materials but it's really satisfying because when you start placing the pavers things go fast and before you know it you've got something really nice looking.

Concretemasonry voted this post useful.