Is it safe to dry concrete indoors in my bedroom?

Old 05-23-20, 05:01 PM
C
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it safe to dry concrete indoors in my bedroom?

my backyard isn't leveled. And half of the weights i make out of concrete end up uneven, which makes them useless since 1 half is thick, the other half is real thin.

I thought about letting the concrete dry in my bedroom where i sleep. Since it's in buckets, my floor will stay clean. But how toxic are the fumes? I don't want to risk my health.

Thank you for reading.

Old 05-23-20, 05:25 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
I didnt know concrete made fumes. Only the dust is hazardous to your health. (Silicosis)

cementnoobie voted this post useful.
Old 05-24-20, 04:33 AM
C
Sorry if i made a stupid remark calling it fumes. I guess what i mean is: Does the smell/odor from concrete damage health? Like how spray paint is bad for you. I do know the dust is bad to breathe in, but other than that, if i carry a lot of wet buckets of concrete and place it in my bedroom and sleep with it overnight, i should be fine?

I'm a complete beginner so i always ask a lot of dumb questions. My apologies for my ignorance, i'll try to get more educated.

Old 05-24-20, 05:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,705 Upvotes on 1,524 Posts
I just did a search online just to confirm but concrete doesn't offgas as it cures. There might be a mild smell but nothing carcinogenic. If you are concerned you can put the lids on your buckets or tightly cover the tops with plastic. Concrete chemically cures when it hardens it does not "dry" so you don't need to worry about giving it airflow.

Old 05-24-20, 06:13 AM
C
That is a huge relief. Now i can not only make sure that my weights are leveled, but also be able to make them when it's raining outside which is a huge plus. Thank you Pilot Dane! I hope you have a terrific weekend!

Old 05-24-20, 07:44 AM
Received 1,057 Upvotes on 959 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how many of these are you making, been an interesting series of questions!

Old 05-24-20, 09:24 AM
B
Received 226 Upvotes on 200 Posts
Why can't you use a level place like a sidewalk or driveway. If either is not level enough, shim a piece of wood, large enough to hold the container with the concrete mix, level. You could even do this in the backyard. The cost of the wood and a level should be under $10.

Old 05-24-20, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,643 Upvotes on 1,471 Posts
Spray paint has fumes and the odor is from the solvents. Foods have odors but they are not necessarily harmful. Concrete contains natural minerals and just like freshly tilled soil it may have some odor. But no, it is not harmful to be in the same room as wet concrete, unless you have some extreme sensitivity to odors. There is a lot more of that nowadays, both real and imagined.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: