How to patch broken stone veneer?

Old 06-05-20, 10:00 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to patch broken stone veneer?

Hi everyone. I'm a novice and appreciate any help. My house has stone veneer around the foundation and I've noticed that a lot of the mortar (I think that's what it's called) has broken off where the stones meet the ground. I've attached two pictures as examples. Bugs and chipmunks have been making homes in these holes so I want to close them up. Do I have to use a concrete mix and patch it or would something like Great Stuff spray work? The holes are maybe two inches deep. I'm a displaced city dweller, so I'm more interested in ease than appearance to limit my chances of messing something up. Like "Masonry for Dummies".

Attached Images   
Old 06-05-20, 10:25 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,705 Upvotes on 1,524 Posts
Do not use spray foam. Animals and insects are very good at chewing through it. I would fill the holes with mortar. When you go shopping make sure you get the complete mix that contains sand so all you have to do is add water. For this application it doesn't matter what type you get, either N or S will work.

Old 06-07-20, 06:19 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I have some bigger chunks broken off on the side of the house. I attach a picture here and was wondering if you or anyone else knew what that pink stuff is that's showing. I'm hoping this is also something that needs to be covered up and not a bigger problem.

Attached Images  
Old 06-07-20, 09:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,705 Upvotes on 1,524 Posts
The pink is rigid foam insulation. It should be covered to protect it from sunlight and insects.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: