Anchor Pressure Treated 2x4 Sill to Concrete

Reply

  #1  
Old 07-09-20, 09:21 AM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 309
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Anchor Pressure Treated 2x4 Sill to Concrete

There is rot in my garage sill plate directly under the king and jack studs that frame the human door to my garage. At first, I thought I'd just dig out as much of the rot as I could and then jamb Bondo in there, but, as the amount of material I was removing increased, that seemed like a bad idea.
My current plan is to cut out a section of the sill plate (maybe 30") and replace with pressure treated lumber.
I liked the idea of using Red Head with sleeve anchor, but a version that is PT appropriate is not immediately available. Would the Tapcon 3/8" x 3" Concrete Anchors be sufficient for this application?

Thanks in advance.
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 07-09-20, 01:50 PM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 309
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
According to the Tapcon site, it looks like I'd need to use, at least, a 4" anchor, since a 3/8" diameter anchor must be embedded a minimum of 2.5". So, is a 3/8" x 4" Tapcon Concrete Anchor a good choose for fastening the section of the sill plate that I'm replacing?
 
  #3  
Old 07-09-20, 02:28 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 25,502
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
Yes they would work fine.
 
SturdyNail voted this post useful.
  #4  
Old 07-09-20, 03:56 PM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 309
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks XSleeper .
There is another wrinkle that I just exposed. The blocks under the section that I will be replacing are hollow. I'm now thinking that I'll need to fill a few cores with concrete before I can anchor into it. The only preexisting anchor that I've found is directly under the jack and king studs and I would rather not get into replacing them..
 
  #5  
Old 07-09-20, 11:23 PM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 309
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do you think it would be OK to set the Tapcons into the wet concrete--allowing the concrete to cure around them? It would allow me to proceed and to skip the need to drill into cured concrete. One negative might be that I wouldn't be able to periodically wet the curing concrete, since it would be covered. Maybe it would be sufficient to wet the blocks that would contain the new concrete. It would save a lot of time.
 
  #6  
Old 07-10-20, 01:38 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 25,502
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
If you want to do that, use j-bolts Instead. Put the washer and nut on after its had some time to cure... about 7-10 days.
 
SturdyNail voted this post useful.
  #7  
Old 07-10-20, 09:05 AM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 309
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks XSleeper
I considered the J-bolts but, I didn't think they'd work since I have to slide the replacement piece into place. It seems I'd need to have a pretty big hole in the 2x4 to thread the J-bolt through the hole and navigate around the bend.
 
  #8  
Old 07-10-20, 09:47 AM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 25,502
Received 584 Votes on 536 Posts
True. Do what you like then. Don't expect to ever unscrew them.
 
SturdyNail voted this post useful.
  #9  
Old 07-12-20, 09:17 PM
S
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 309
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Quick update; remember how I said I didn't want to get into replacing the jack and king studs? Well, after removing a section of the old sill, I discovered a significant void at the bottom of the jack stud. Some of the void may be from rot, but the original builder managed to locate the jack stud directly over the bolted-on anchor, so I'm guessing they had to hack into the stud. At a minimum, the jack stud needs to be replaced, but I think I'm going to use the opportunity to shift the location of the door a couple of inches. The door has always seemed too tight against the sidewall of the house. I'm guessing that the original builders made a mistake in locating the sill's anchor and just worked around it.
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: