Repairing exposed aggregate driveway cracks

Old 07-10-20, 11:41 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repairing exposed aggregate driveway cracks

I have an area on my driveway that has developed a lot of cracks and has broken up quite a bit. I have pressure washed the area to prep it for repair but am not sure what to fill this with. Should I use concrete patch compound mixed with pea gravel?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-20, 06:25 PM
J
Received 70 Votes on 65 Posts
There just is no "patching" this one.
There's some real prep issues that where never done under the slab causing this one.
That picture sure does not look like it was a minimum of 4" thick for a driveway.
Does not even look like any exposed aggregate I've ever seen.

Primordial_Soup voted this post useful.
Old 07-11-20, 04:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 533 Votes on 490 Posts
I think it's time to consider replacement for at least that section. I don't know if the problem is from a poor substrate, too think concrete or a combination of both but you can't just put a Band Aid on top and expect it to hold for long.

How old is the drive? It looks more like really old concrete where the cement has eroded away exposing the sand. Not an intentional exposed aggregate, especially since no aggregate is visible in your picture, or they used really fine aggregate.

Old 07-11-20, 04:19 AM
Received 194 Votes on 175 Posts
This really calls for a professional to properly patch using hot mix and a machine roller.
The best you can do is remove all the small loose stuff. Make square hole about twice the size of the area that is in question deep enough to add the proper base. After filling and compacting a base wait for very hot day and put in patch. Using you car and a piece of ply wood drive over it repeatedly to compact it as best as possible. After several weeks add a sealer coat.
It will not last, but you should get about two to three years out of it.

Old 07-13-20, 06:31 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure how old it is. I bought the house a year ago. I recently pressure washed the driveway and the extent of the cracks here then became apparent. The house is 25 years old.

The advice I received here has convinced me I really need to have a professional take a look at it.

Thanks all!