I am a complete novice please help with outside wall

Old 08-22-20, 02:07 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I am a complete novice please help with outside wall

I need to even out the wall below. I know nothing about construction. How should I go about repairing this shoddy plaster job. Please point me in the right direction with regard to what raw materials and tools I need and what to do

Old 08-23-20, 02:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 426 Votes on 381 Posts
First I'd make sure all the loose is removed and the block is clean. You can buy bags of mortar or stucco mix where all you have to add is water. Trowel it on [might take 2 coats depending on how thick it is. I'm a painter not a mason so I'm not sure of the correct way to achieve that texture, I'd probably float it out smooth and then pat it with a sponge.

Old 08-23-20, 09:28 PM
T
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
Looks like you have some algae on the block. Scrape off any more of the stucco that is loose then scrub all the block with some bleach, about 50/50 with water rinse well. Rinse again. Use material as marksr suggests. That way all you need is some of that and don't have to mess with cement and sand and maybe lime. Build it out flush with the existing. If you can't do it all in one coat then use a sponge float to bring some sand to the surface so it is rough enough to put on another coat after the first coat is hard. You might have to wet the first coat down with water to make the second coat if needed stay workable long enough to straighten it out with a 1 X 4 three or four feet long. Get it nice and straight and even and flush with the existing and float it with that sponge float to bring out the sand to a texture similar to what is there. Let that set and keep it moist for a few days then let it dry and paint.

Now maybe this is thin enough you can do it all in one coat. If so then do it like I described the second coat.
There are probably some youtube videos that show you the process. Make sure you get that block clean.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: