"Class I sand" for brick walkway?

Old 09-02-20, 03:39 AM
W
Received 4 Votes on 2 Posts
"Class I sand" for brick walkway?

I called the local quarry and the only material they have for a base layer is Class I sand. Would this be appropriate for a residential dry lay brick walkway?
ETA: Or do you think he was thinking that I was asking for the top layer (just below the brick) material? I know they have dense grade and crushed stone base. Would that be better than Class I sand for the base layer?

Old 09-02-20, 04:51 AM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
I had to google what class 1 sand was, it's a sand and clay mix.

For any kind of pavers you want sharp sand, setting sand, in our area it's called slag sand, large, very coarse sand that locks together when compacted.

The finer the sand the less it can be compacted.

Old 09-02-20, 06:09 AM
W
Thanks. Got on some other stone quarry sites and see that around here, Class I sand is mostly limestone dust. See the pics below.

So what would be best for the base layer, before the sand?

Class I Sand...

Dense Grade Aggregate...

https://harrodco.com/stone-products/

Old 09-02-20, 06:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
Every manufacturer has instructions for the what materials to use but they are all about the same. A 4" thick minimum compacted, crushed gravel is used for the base layer. Then your sand layer which depending on your location might be; patio or play sand, stone dust, decomposed granite... Then your pavers/bricks go on top. Compact to settle the bricks into the sand layer. Then you brush on your gap filling sand or polymeric sand (make sure you follow the instructions carefully).

Old 09-02-20, 06:38 AM
W
Thanks. We have dug out a little deeper than 4" in some places. Probably looking at 4" in some places but as deep as 6 or 7 inches in others. That crushed gravel for the base layer...around here we have Dense Grade Aggregate or Crushed Stone Base. Dense Grade is a little finer than Crushed Stone.

Crushed Stone Base..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: