Stucco on Cinderblock planter wall bubbling

Old 09-15-20, 04:51 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stucco on Cinderblock planter wall bubbling

I have a cinderblock wall that is covered with stucco and is painted. This wall is a planter wall which is holding up a hill. Since the wall was not waterproofed on the side that holds the dirt/hill, it gets moisture from watering and rain and moisture seeps through to the other side (the face) which is stuccod. At this point there are spots where the stucco is bubbling. Removing the dirt behind the wall to waterproof and install drainage is not an option as it is cost prohibitive. What is the best way to fix and patch the wall? Should I scrape the bubbles and loose stucco and patch is back up with stucco? Is it worth while to spend the money to put a cement sealer on the scraped cinderblocks when we scrape the stucco in order to reinforce it? What materials should I use for this fix? How long would it last?

Old 09-16-20, 02:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 430 Votes on 384 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You should be able to scrape off the loose stucco and then stucco as needed and paint BUT moisture migrating thru the wall from the back side is the most likely culprit for the failing stucco and unless it can be address the failures are likely to continue.

Old 09-16-20, 09:02 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you Mark. I know. Do you see any real benefit to applying a sealer like Radonseal https://www.radonseal.com after scraping to seal back the scraped cinderblocks before patching it up? Someone suggested that it will close the pores and so water won't easily come through making the patch last longer in those areas??? The sealer is expensive so if it is useless, I rather not do it.

Old 09-16-20, 09:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 971 Votes on 892 Posts
From my experience nothing you apply to the face will work long term. If you want a long term fix you will likely have to excavate behind the wall. Thoroughly clean the backside and apply a damp/waterproofing coating or membrane and install a drainage system.

marksr voted this post useful.
Old 09-17-20, 01:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 430 Votes on 384 Posts
While there are different products that will help seal the front side - they don't really work. If the coating stops water from coming thru at one spot the water will look for another area to come out. Even when the entire wall is coated it will find a weak spot and come thru.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: