Porch Ideas

Old 09-22-20, 09:29 AM
S
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Question Porch Ideas

Looking for suggestions on how to fix porch in the picture. It appears that over several decades the stone planters have settled causing the porch to crack. One half is slightly higher than the other. First thought is to bust it up and repour but concrete is not my area of expertise so looking for suggestions.

thanks

Old 09-22-20, 09:41 AM
J
Received 106 Votes on 93 Posts
I doubt the planter caused the issue, more likely it's how it was not prepped correctly before the pour.

Old 09-22-20, 11:13 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
Removing the old concrete and pouring new would be my choice. I would rent a large, electric jackhammer and bust out the old. Then you can pour new concrete right on the ground. Better would be to excavate out about 4" of soil and back fill with crushed stone and compact then pour the new slab but it's not necessary.

Just for fun I would put a level on both sides of the crack to see if the house side of the slab sunk or if the planter side did. I've seen it happen both ways.

Old 09-22-20, 03:54 PM
S
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the responses. There was a cracked up 16X16 concrete pad just beyond the porch that I took out with a saw and sledgehammer last week. Looks like I'll be behind a jackhammer this week.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: