Basement crack - Round 2 - Opinions

Old 10-01-20, 11:10 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Basement crack - Round 2 - Opinions

I just went back to my history and found when I first noticed this crack. 3 years ago. I was just keeping an eye on it and it really hasn't spread. Until recently. It's wider at the top and goes nearly to the floor now.

Old thread: https://www.doityourself.com/forum/b...ment-wall.html

I'll try to attach some current pics from my phone in a few.

I had two block layers come out to look. One wanted to dig up outside and grind the crack, and remorter it. The second one only wanted to morter it from inside.

The 3rd company I call is a fairly good rated local foundation company. He feels the footer is sinking slightly in that corner and is recommending two piers to be installed to lift the footer. One on the wall with the crack, and one on the wall 90 degrees from it. Blocklayers quoted me 200-300 to morter the crack. The basement company is at $2700 for the piers and to epoxy the crack.

My concern is if we go messing around with the footer, could we end up making this settling worse? Or would I be better off sealing it up for now and keeping an eye on it?

Old 10-01-20, 01:16 PM
Received 531 Votes on 491 Posts
Before an answer, how old is the house?

Old 10-01-20, 01:19 PM
Good question.

From the best I can tell this original part of the house was built in 1917.

Also for what it's worth, I do not really get any water in the house. I think one time in 10 years I had a trickle on the basement floor and that was after a freak storm.

Old 10-02-20, 01:10 AM
Received 531 Votes on 491 Posts
100 years old, everything shows sign of age.

First thing, no matter where it's mortared/patched, inside or out, if it's moving the crack will come back so that is just a temp band aid.

Second, in something that old you have no idea what kind of footing is down there, could be nothing more than a bunch of rocks.

Tough one to decide, I doubt anything will fail, the wall looks like heavy brick, if you decide to hold off Id look into epoxy injection to seal the crack,

Old 10-02-20, 05:07 AM
Thanks. I'm not so much worried about the price tag, just if disturbing that footer could make things worse in the long run.

The basement company was pretty confident in the repair. He pointed out there is at least half a row of block below the floor. Suspects that is the footer, or possibly one more row below that.

Reading over the lifetime warranty documentation, the only gotcha I see is the warranty only comes into play if there is movement or shifting greater than 1/2". That seems like an aweful lot.

I think I'm going to get a second foundation company to come out and take a look too.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: