Catch basin in driveway caving in.

Old 10-07-20, 10:04 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Catch basin in driveway caving in.

Hello all. This is my first post so please bear with me.
I have a catch basin in my driveway, the surface is beginning to cave in. Pictures attached.
The orange cones and bucket show how far under the driveway it goes. It seems to be supported by concrete and iron pipes. One section of which has collapsed leading to the asphalt hole.
I have no hope of paying to have it rebuilt or replaced at this time. My Neighbor is a contractor and suggested filling it with 3/4 crushed stone so it would still drain somewhat but not be as big of a threat if it caves in.
It seems like my choices are possible flooding or a giant sinkhole

Any thoughts?

Old 10-07-20, 12:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 423 Votes on 378 Posts
Filling it with gravel sounds like a plan to me. How much water comes down your driveway to that basin? can you route some of the water elsewhere?

Old 10-07-20, 12:26 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The driveway really is not pitched correctly and that catch basin is actually in a high spot now. There are pipes feeding into it. One from another basin a few feet away that is in a low spot. The other is a 4" clay pipe that goes towards my garage. I have no idea where it ends up. The basin itself is usually dry but I have seen it full during a sustained heavy downpour, its going to rain today and i am going to look for water coming out of the pipes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: