Need help on repairing a section of a basement concrete floor

Old 10-08-20, 05:55 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help on repairing a section of a basement concrete floor

I had to replace some badly deteriorated sewer pipes under my basement concrete floor. I hardly ever do any concrete work and I need help and advice on how to re concrete back the section of my floor. Should I use the dirt that I removed as backfill or would it be best to use gravel and or sand? I have bunch of gravel and sand from a previous project that I would love to get rid of. how much backfill would be necessary? Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 10-08-20, 06:32 AM
J
Received 107 Votes on 94 Posts
Little late now, but I would have tamped down that dirt, added some # 57 stone, leveled and tamped it down again, then installed my pipe making sure it was sloped, and fully supported under it.

Old 10-12-20, 09:31 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I refill the hole with the dirt I took out? I also heard I should put a top layer of stone before concreting. Sorry guys I am a novice at this. I just want to concrete the floor back.

Old 10-12-20, 10:23 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
I'm not the concrete expert around here, but you're not doing anything structural, so the details aren't critical.

You can backfill with dirt or sand - and some of the old concrete pieces is fine too, whatever you have easily accessible. The dirt will need to be tamped down as best as possible.
Follow it up with 2-3" of gravel to give your concrete a good base.
Then finish with 2-3" of concrete leveled and smoothed.

If you were building a driveway with constant traffic, I think the details might be more important. But here, you just need a level surface.

rock13979 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: