Step cutting with a walk behind

Old 11-05-20, 08:20 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Step cutting with a walk behind

Hi all,

First time using a walk behind concrete saw.

My project:
3.5" - 4" concrete slab, reinforced with rebar. This is a slab that I poured about 10 years ago from bags of concrete.
Need to cut through the slab completely (I'm no longer worried about integrity of the pad), approximately 100 linear feet total.
Going to rent a 14" walk behind concrete saw from one of the local big box stores.

I've read that "step cutting" is the best way to promote blade life as well as being generally safer.

Question:
With this size saw/diamond blade and this type of concreted and depth...
Would it be ok to do 2 passes, each at 2" depth?
Or is it really recommended to only go no more than 1" at a time?

Thanks.

Old 11-06-20, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
I've always made my cuts in one pass for exactly the opposite reason. If you don't make successive passes exactly in the same track it can be very damaging to the blade. It takes a bit of skill to get the saw to track EXACTLY along the same path twice and with a large blade spinning at high speed you MUST not put any side load on the blade.

we5inelgr voted this post useful.
Old 11-06-20, 08:09 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

Your points make perfect sense to me and was actually what I was originally planning to do (one cut all the way) until I started reading/watching video's from the manufacturers of the walk behinds. They recommended the step cutting method.

The guy at the tool rental place didn't mention anything about the need for step cutting, so I asked if I could go with step cutting with at least 2" depth per run and he didn't hesitate. "Oh yeah!"

So, first few runs I did just that. After a bit, tried to go to the full ~4" depth in one pass but it seemed like the saw (an Edco with a Honda engine and a new diamond blade installed by the shop during pick up) was having some trouble advancing, even with a determined push, so I went back to doing a couple of passes at 2" depth per.

Anyway, it all worked out better than I had planned and the cuts I needed to make got done.

Thanks again!

Last edited by we5inelgr; 11-06-20 at 08:12 PM. Reason: added info
Old 11-07-20, 04:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
I've done cuts to the full depth of the saw. Because it's cutting through so much material it is slow progress but it does work.

we5inelgr voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: