How bad is it for your house to put in mortar screws

Old 11-17-20, 06:37 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How bad is it for your house to put in mortar screws

The wife is ordering some fancy holiday decorations and the company is suggesting we install a total 10 mortar screws around the front door area and they do the installation (wire it to the screws). I'm not in love with this idea. In the past I've actually used hot glue on brick that held pretty decently. Are there concerns with the long term effects of putting mortar screws in your house?

Old 11-17-20, 08:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
You are drilling holes into the mortar which certainly isn't good for it. Then you insert a molly and run in the screw. This holds by wedging the molly outward against the sides of the hole for a very tight friction fit. This outward force can crack the mortar or brick. It's similar to how stones are split by drilling and using feathers & wedges. But, it's a common way to mount things to masonry and generally isn't harmful if the anchors are spaced far enough apart. If the mortar cracks or flakes out around a hole then the area may have to be repointed.

Old 11-17-20, 11:54 AM
Received 531 Votes on 491 Posts
The wife is ordering some fancy holiday decorations
There cant be a lot of weight so so should not be an issue, nothing more than screwing in a Tapcon.

Nice thing about attaching to mortar, easy to patch when done!

Old 11-18-20, 10:25 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 203 Votes on 181 Posts
I don't see it as a structural issue, but what happens once the decorations are removed? The hole either needs to be patched/caulked, or maybe the screws and anchors can be galvanized or stainless to prevent them from rusting. If they are small, no one will notice them and they can stay year-round and be used next year.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: