Water pooling on a brick entry walkway

Old 11-24-20, 04:15 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water pooling on a brick entry walkway

I have a brick walkway with a couple steps up to the front door. On one of the elevated portions the water is pooling up during rainy weather because it is not graded properly and/or has settled slightly over the years. There is a gutter downspout a few feet away so I am tempted to dig up a few bricks and install a grate and pipe to direct the water into that downspout because I do not want to redo the entire walkway. I do not know what is underneath the brick and mortar, likely concrete. The walkway is in good condition otherwise (no cracking or chipped bricks). Does this sound like the best solution? What are my options? Any building codes to be aware of in Washington State? Sorry there is no image yet, this is my first post and am having trouble uploading one. https://imgur.com/gallery/7al9lu2

Last edited by Austin Campbell; 11-24-20 at 04:51 PM.
Old 11-24-20, 04:51 PM
A
unable to upload the photo from desktop, laptop, phone or even via hyperlink to a photosharing website. here is the URL if you want to see a picture of the walkway https://imgur.com/gallery/7al9lu2

Old 11-24-20, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
To insert photos you need to click the go advanced button.

I doubt there is concrete under it or it would not have settled that way. Its probably just rock and sand. Unless they just laid it over an existing sidewalk.... You could certainly install a gutter and grate, like what you often see in front of a garage door. Worst case scenario, you would just need to rent a diamond chainsaw.

Austin Campbell voted this post useful.
Old 11-24-20, 04:57 PM
A
Thanks for your input. First time doing masonry work so I want to make sure I have all of my processes in place before I dig in

Old 11-24-20, 04:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 791 Votes on 728 Posts
I would do some probing around along the edge first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: