Solutions for undersized concrete steps

Old 01-24-21, 12:51 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solutions for undersized concrete steps

Hi All,

I recently had a new concrete patio poured by a sub our contractor. It did not go well and there were a lot of quality issues with the work that was done. We have since parted ways with our contractor. Once of the major mistakes made was that the concrete stairs poured were incorrectly sized. Our plan has been to add a stone tread on the top and face the risers with the clay pavers that we used as apron border on the outside of the patio. Unfortunately, the contractor (and his sub) mis-measured and made the stairs 2-2.25" too short on the height of the top riser and 2-2.25" too short on length of the lowest tread. They apparently did not factor in the pavers themselves.

I am looking for the best option to correct this mistake without having to completely rip out the stairs and start over. Since both of these repaired spots would be covered, I am wondering if I could potentially glue (or screw) down a 2" concrete piece to the two spots and it would be a proper solution. I know glue down is acceptable when doing some other hardscapes.

Looking to use something similar to this for the fill piece: https://www.menards.com/main/buildin...3541338&ipos=3

Below is a picture and a diagram. In the picture you can see the brown clay pavers that will be vertically added to the riser.

Hoping someone is able provide some guidance here as this is just one part of a nightmare situation we are trying to work through with this project. Also, if anyone is knowledgeable in the area of this type of patio work/masonry, I have a couple other areas I could use some advice.

Old 01-24-21, 01:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
Yes, they apparently did not account for tread thickness. If your existing steps have the same exact rise right by the now and the cap stones that you will be using as treads are 2" thick, I would simply add a 2" solid CMU's to the top step. IMO it should be mortared to the existing, but if that affects the height too much (no step can be > 3/8" higher or lower than any other step) then you could glue it down. Problem with gluing is it leaves a void for water and ice which can ruin the steps eventually.

Steps typically require nosing of no more than 1 1/4". So also figure that in. If I was building it, I would probably pad your steps out as needed first... then apply the riser stones next. After the riser stones are on, both treads should be the same exact width. Then apply the cap stones as your treads last. Each cap stone should hang over the nosing the same amount, no more than 1 1/4" though. In the end, each tread must be the same width. Each step must have the same amount of rise.

Also remember there is no riser stone behind the top tread. Yet those top treads must be equal. So if your step treads are currently the same, you will first need to pad your bottom riser out by the thickness of your riser. If you don't, your top tread will end up being wider, or your nosing won't be equal. I think you have depicted that well in your drawing.

Old 01-24-21, 03:57 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks XSleeper - really helpful information! I appreciate the response.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: