Pouring a slab in sections; is that reasonable?

Old 02-07-21, 01:57 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pouring a slab in sections; is that reasonable?

Hello,
I'm thinking ahead for a warm(er) weather project. I want to build a new 8' x 12' shed on a concrete slab.
Would it be possible to pour the slab in sections; maybe six 4' x 4' sections?
That way, I could spread the work out over several days vs. attempting to do the entire 8' x 12' slab on the same day. Since I will be working solo, dividing the work into smaller chunks seems manageable.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 02-07-21, 02:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 989 Votes on 900 Posts
You can... If you don't mind all the seams and unevenness that you will have as a result. You would be wise to form the entire perimeter first so that your end result will be the exact size you want (and measure it for square). Then just add/remove forms from the middle as needed until you have it done.

Be sure your slab ends up several inches above grade and make the edge of the form thicker than needed so that it doesn't erode.

SturdyNail voted this post useful.
Old 02-07-21, 07:50 PM
S
Thanks XSleeper .
I don't think I'll mind the seams. I'm thinking it could come out looking like a sidewalk :-)
This is all in the planning stage--something to do during a cold, socially distanced, winter.

Old 02-08-21, 06:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
I'm not sure you'll save much if any work. With small batches like you recommend you'll have to mix the concrete yourself. If you have never mixed concrete I would think seriously because it can be a fair bit of work if you don't have a mixer. If you pour the slab whole you could get a ready mix truck to deliver so all you have to do is smooth and finish.

Old 02-08-21, 11:45 AM
S
Thanks Pilot Dane
I have mixed concrete, but only in small batches. I agree that, all tolled, it will be a lot of work, but breaking it up into smaller tasks seems like it would make the work more manageable.
I will consider the option of having a ready mix truck delivery. The site for the new shed would not be reachable by the truck, so that could be an issue too.

Old 02-08-21, 12:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 426 Votes on 381 Posts
You'll need help if you have to wheelbarrow concrete in.
IMO 4x4 slabs are too little, if I were to split it - I'd do half and then in a day or two [or next weekend] do the other half.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: