Installing a natural stone landscape border

Old 02-18-21, 06:41 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Installing a natural stone landscape border

Hello experts!

I'm planning to use this large natural stone as a landscape border two rows high: https://yardcorocks.com/shop/discov...r-garden/south-bay-quartzite-boulders-chunks/.

I'm trying to figure out how to best prepare the base surface in my yard (currently just dirt) to accept the border without sagging over time. Do I...

- Just compact the dirt with a tamper and start laying?
- Compact dirt and use weed control fabric?
- Compact some paver leveling sand and lay?
- Put down some gravel and lay?

Aside from determining the proper process for the base, I need to determine what kind of mortar I should use to keep the stones in place (preferably white in color in case a little shows through.

Looking forward to hearing the suggestions!

Old 02-18-21, 08:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
First you need to figure out if you want a mortared, rigid wall which will need a poured concrete footer. Or, you can dry stack the stones on a compacted crushed stone base. You don't say where you are located but the more freezing weather you get the more important the base/foundation will become.

Old 02-18-21, 09:34 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks for the reply.

I don't think I need a mortared/rigid footer. I'm located in South Florida so freezing is not an issue. We just get a lot of rain in the summer months so drainage is important.

How about something like this?

- Dig out 5" deep trench
- Put down weed control fabric
- Fill trench with gravel and compact with tamper
- Start laying first row of stones
- Use AmeriMix Mortar Type M to fill joints where appropriate
- Finish subsequent rows

Old 02-18-21, 12:22 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
It's either or. You don't mix a compacted stone base with mortared anything (bricks, cement blocks, rocks...). If you mortar the stones you need a solid concrete footer. If you are dry stacking the stones then you can use a compacted stone base. But, it's not a building subject to codes so you can do whatever you want.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: