Setting Height of Concrete Path

Old 02-18-21, 07:13 PM
T
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Setting Height of Concrete Path

How far above grade are forms usually set when pouring a concrete path that runs next to a planting area? I would assume you would not want it level with the dirt as you would constantly have to be cleaning it up. You would also have no room to add bark/compost.

Is there a "standard"?

Second question. What is the typical thickness of a concrete path? 3", 4"? The path will never carry a load of any sort.

Old 02-18-21, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 854 Votes on 782 Posts
No, there is not a standard, but 1" above grade is usually enough if it is surrounded by lawn. More than that and it becomes harder to mow and edge. Sidewalks are often about 3 1/2 - 4" thick.

If you intend to mulch around it, however, you might want it to extend 2 or 3" above grade, since you don't want the mulch to be so thin that weeds will grow. More if it's on a slope. And if its on a slope, you might want it thicker at the edges so that it does not erode.

Old 02-19-21, 12:12 AM
Received 462 Votes on 430 Posts
Working it in reverse, when I've graded my new yard areas for the lawn I set that grade down 3" so that when the grass comes in and is cut it's pretty much level with the drive and walkways!

Much higher and your fighting a higher mound of grass/soil!

Old 02-19-21, 07:03 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 787 Votes on 724 Posts
I normally like the walkway to be about 1" above the finished grade. The height gives water somewhere to floww off yet is still low enough for a lawnmower to pass over. Also, over time dirt washing off the walk will build up the ground at the edge of the walk so after a decade or two the ground level will probably come up to being flush.

Old 02-19-21, 10:52 AM
T
Received 29 Votes on 27 Posts
Sorry, should have stated no grass on either side. The concrete path will have planting areas on one side, no slope. Actually, minimal slope as one side is a planting area between the house (concrete pad) and the path (4' wide). The other side will be filled w/walkon bark that slopes down very slightly to a drainage swale (about 10' away). Since there's no standard I think 2" to allow for mulch sounds good. This with a 4" pour.

Much higher and your fighting a higher mound of grass/soil!
I wish I would have payed more attention when they put in my front lawn 10 years ago. Some places are low, some even and other places the walkways are 1.5" above the grass.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: