Brick Mailbox foundation

Old 02-25-21, 06:25 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Brick Mailbox foundation

Hello. The frost line in my area is 36" . I plan on building a brick mailbox. In order to prevent it from heaving, it appears I should dig to 42" and put in 2" of pea gravel and then pour a foundation. Can I just pour a 6" foundation and then use concrete block to bring the foundation up to ground level?

Popular Reply

02-25-21, 08:23 PM
XSleeper
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
Pea gravel is not typically what you want, although it is self compacting. Crushed stone or limestone is usually far better. Yes, you can pour a level footing below frost on your compacted stone base and then build cmu on top of it. Some areas have codes about mailboxes though. In some places the mailbox column cannot be cemented down to the foundation. It must be able to give way if hit with a vehicle. In some cases they may be disallowed completely by local codes. Something for you to check into first.

Old 02-25-21, 08:23 PM
Group Moderator
Pea gravel is not typically what you want, although it is self compacting. Crushed stone or limestone is usually far better. Yes, you can pour a level footing below frost on your compacted stone base and then build cmu on top of it. Some areas have codes about mailboxes though. In some places the mailbox column cannot be cemented down to the foundation. It must be able to give way if hit with a vehicle. In some cases they may be disallowed completely by local codes. Something for you to check into first.

caster, marksr voted this post useful.
Old 02-26-21, 07:19 AM
C
Thank you for the reply. One last question. If my base is going to be 3'x3' does the foundation have to be that dimension to the frost line?

Old 02-26-21, 09:03 AM
Received 489 Votes on 453 Posts
Footers and frost depths dont apply to everything.

Driveways, walkways, patios, basketball post, arbors, clothes lines etc are not required to go down to/past the frost line.

If you created a slab the overall size of your structure and 12-18" deep your good!

Old 02-26-21, 10:25 AM
C
Talking to a mason, he stated I should go down below the frost level depth to prevent the heaving due to the freeze

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 02-26-21, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Footings are often larger than the structure to provide stability but I doubt that's necessary in this case. Are you using a combination of 8" block and 4" block to create your brick ledge? Or will you have a pad finished just above grade to pit your block and brick on?

Old 02-26-21, 11:52 AM
H
Received 157 Votes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Caster
I plan on building a brick mailbox. In order to prevent it from heaving,
You may want to check on that, in some areas around me, the local codes prohibit large masonry mailboxes.
(Although we have huge rocks & trees that are even MORE of a threat if you hit them).

For anything masonry that is tall, thin and top heavy, I'd think twice about it.

Old 02-26-21, 12:35 PM
C
I called the town early this morning and they have no law preventing me from doing this. Town host quite a few of them already

Old 02-26-21, 04:48 PM
C
XSleeper
Footings are often larger than the structure to provide stability but I doubt that's necessary in this case. Are you using a combination of 8" block and 4" block to create your brick ledge? Or will you have a pad finished just above grade to pit your block and brick on?
Going to use 8" block for the core and 4" block to make the ledge up till ground level or tad below

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: