Best way to fix this foundation sink?

Old 02-28-21, 07:49 PM
C
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Best way to fix this foundation sink?

A small portion of the concrete on our garage threshold (where the door lands) is cracked/crumbled (see pic). It has been this way for 10-20 years (concrete in this spot depressed and cracking into the fragments you see). Within the past 2-3 years the depression on this spot has gone down maybe another 1/4"-1/2"- enough to let a tiny crack of light through when the door seal is down (the door seal actually expands into the depression mostly). The spot is right over the tire travel of the car and we switched from a tiny compact to SUV 2 years ago so I wonder if that has accelerated push down into whatever void is formed underneath.. The concrete radiating out from this spot on all sides is solid and smooth with no "hollow" sounding spots below. Can I carefully demo this small section (maybe cut in somehow) and then compress, or dig a little/compress and patch this with some new concrete?

Old 03-01-21, 12:35 AM
Received 535 Votes on 495 Posts
Spalling concrete, not much you can do other than cut it out and replace, weight of vehicle probably not a factor just a bad concrete mix.

Old 03-01-21, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 427 Votes on 382 Posts
Can I carefully demo this small section (maybe cut in somehow)
You could either rent a concrete saw or use a masonry blade in a circular saw to cut the concrete.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: