Caulk for Basement Exterior

Old 03-01-21, 10:45 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Caulk for Basement Exterior

Hello Helpers,

I live in Central Ohio, and I have a vertical hair-line crack on the exterior of my concrete basement. It is about 1/8 inch, and I have been looking to buy the GE Silicone II Caulk for Concrete/Mortar but it's unavailable in all the big stores around me, like Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware. The concrete product is listed here -- https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-Silicone...ulk/1000619021

I wonder if any other typical GE Advance Silicone II would work? As long as it is Weather-Proof and Flexible? The weather here would range from 0F ~ 100 F.

Thanks
Sean

Old 03-01-21, 11:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
If you are shopping at the box store,, you will be better off using a concrete sealant like Loctite S10. Cut the nozzle small, caulk the crack, then tool it into the joint with a little paint thinner on your finger.

sftong voted this post useful.
Old 03-05-21, 06:39 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello xSleeper, Thanks for your suggestion.

I just discovered that the vertical hairline crack has already expanded into about 1/4 inch wide. I tried putting on Quikrete Concrete Sealant 4 years ago, and after 2 years the hardened seal just cracked and I left it open for 2 years. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete...2010/100318474

I notice that during winter time the crack would be widened, and in summer it would diminish. I figure now would be a good time to put in some seal when the days warm up to 50s.

Do you think this slow widening of crack warrant a different solution? I did call a basement foundation expert over 4 years ago and he said it was not an issue, as he measured the basement wall cave-in.

Thanks again

Old 03-05-21, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 901 Votes on 827 Posts
Yes, caulking when it is at its widest makes the most sense.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: