how to break up concrete step

Old 03-20-21, 06:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
how to break up concrete step

I have a concrete half step to my stoop - 3' X 3' X 7". I wish to renovate the front stoop and enlarge it so this slab has got to go. How do I best demolish it? Concrete saw? Jackhammer? I need to be able to rent this from HD or Lowes.

Old 03-20-21, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 365 Votes on 316 Posts
A jackhammer would likely be the fastest/easiest way. If you want to go low tech you could just wail on it with the sledgehammer.

Old 03-21-21, 11:14 AM
J
Thanks! I'll give a sledgehammer a try and if no good, go for the jackhammer.

Old 03-21-21, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Make sure you wear some eye protection! Concrete shards tend to be ouchie.

Old 03-21-21, 04:48 PM
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
When I had mine removed, I hired a team. I saw them using this to lift up and used a sledge hammer against the slab. They made it looked very easy, like within 5 minutes became small chunks and they just tossed onto a wheel barrel.

They loosen it first and was able to lift with the gooseneck then they left another block underneath at the edge. Then the sledge hammer came down.

https://www.harborfreight.com/48-in-...bar-69038.html

The concrete steps might be tougher since they are one and probably more concrete to demo.

Old 03-23-21, 05:35 PM
J
I rented a Hilti small breaker at HD today. I had tried drilling a hole in the concrete step with my hammer drill and then sledgehammering it but just too thick. With the Hilti, the first piece took forever but subsequent pieces went quickly once I figured out how to get a fracture to propagate. I had the whole thing out in less that two hours! It wasn't until I was finished that I noted how hot the bit got. Many thanks for the advice.

Maybe you can help me with the next phase of this project. I'm going to drill the sides of this front stoop below ground level to mount rebar, set with anchoring cement, then pour concrete to create a base for cinder blocks to be placed on top. The idea is to pour the concrete so that the blocks come just to the existing top of the stoop. The blocks would be attached to the sides of the stoop with more anchoring cement. Finally top it all with Pennsylvania bluestone. This plan seem good to you?

Old 03-23-21, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator
Make sure to put the base below the frost line otherwise you risk it heaving in the winter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: