Building a Concrete rise in place of wood to concrete

Old 03-27-21, 05:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building a Concrete rise in place of wood to concrete

This project was shelved due to COVID We live in Van Buren, Arkansas
I added a sun room to the back of our house & had it inspected every step of the way but made one mistake and that was listening to the inspector who told me that just to use treated lumber or my base plates for my walls (2 walls totaling approx 29 feet) & now I am paying the price with water invasion. I haven't seen it yet, but I am sure I have water rot on the plates. I need to replace the base with a 4" concrete rise and rebuild from there. I believe I posted something like this on here at the time and got some good advice concerning the base which was to get solid 4'x8" cinderblocks and have them cut in half. to use for the rise. Unfortunately, I was not able to get anybody to do that at any price. I see pics of 4 x 4 x 16 inch cinder blocks when I got to Lowes or Home Depot websites but they don't have them or are aren't available. We had a couple of Handyman guys come here to give us some prices that were outrageous so we decided to tackle the project ourselves I plan on casting, in concrete, 4" x 4" x 18" reinforced blocks in my garage. I will include threaded anchors to attach the 2 x 4s to. Where I need some advice is in what type of premix I should use and do I need to rough up the concrete floor that I will cement the blocks. to. Of course, please feel free to offer any other helpful things that might aid us in doing the job, it will be appreciated. Thank You.

Old 03-27-21, 07:38 PM
A
Received 33 Votes on 31 Posts
so any reason your not just placing forms and pouring the rise versus messing with blocks?

Old 03-28-21, 01:15 AM
Received 535 Votes on 495 Posts
Im curious why your replacing. Using PT for walls is common practice, why do you have water issue?

And, they make all kinds of solid block sizes, you should not need to cut anything up!

Old 04-01-21, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
alan73: No, I just thought it would be more convenient & speed up the process.

Can you expound on the "all kinds" since I will need 4" wide and 4" high material.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: