Restoring Lag Shields

Old 04-07-21, 07:46 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Restoring Lag Shields

Hi folks,

Just started a project to restore pedestrian side gate mounted to cinder block wall column.

Background - It's a metal frame with hinges welded to a bar which mounts to the wall. The slats are composite, durable but heavy (my bicep scale says between 35 and 40 lbs for the entire door). Over the years, gravity has taken its toll on the mounts and the lag bolts have loosened and pulled out of their holes. The holes are, of course, wallowed out. I looked at alternative mounting systems which all look effective and .... modern. But to use as much of the gate system as I could, I figured I'd stick with the lag bolt/shield system.

Went to HD and bought brand new bolt/shield and now thinking of restoring holes by plugging it up with concrete mix and re-drilling (1/2" required). Meantime, I was mulling over questions like, what concrete/sand mix, what curing/drying time, etc. Maybe better/easier to shove the shields in with the wet mix and let it cure in place? Or was there something better I could wrap around the shields to grip the holes enough to drive the expanding bolt through?

As a fallback, if this does not work, I will try the expanding sleeve method.

Any thoughts, suggestions, encouragement, etc., very much appreciated!

MR2

Old 04-07-21, 08:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
You can't use concrete in anchor bolt holes. The holes are too small for the aggregate in concrete. You can use mortar though. Then you will need to let it cure for as long as possible. 4 weeks is considered a full cure. You can not bed anchor bolts in wet mortar. Since there is nothing solid for the bolt to grip against the wedge or sleeve will not expand and lock in place.

A quicker option is to simply move up to the next larger size anchor bolts. Drill out your mounting plate and drill out the old anchor holes to make sure they are the proper size. Another option is to epoxy anchor studs into the wall, let it cure then attach your gate.

mister2 voted this post useful.
Old 04-07-21, 09:27 AM
M
Thanks for the advice, Pilot.

Next size up and epoxy alternative strategies duly noted.

Meantime, with materials already on hand, I tried to turn project into an experiment. I did say concrete mix but what I did was filter out the pebbles so I was left with just the Quikrete dust and fine sand, just a bit finer than patio sand, and used it as, yes, mortar, to slide in the shields while carefully filling in between the shield ribs to maximize contact/grip. I'll let it dry as long as I can but will note duration for future reference.

Instructions say, sets in 40 mins, load-bearing in 4 hours.

I'll test and report back.

Old 04-15-21, 01:17 PM
M
Been a week since I bolted the door to the wall. Seems to be holding up pretty well. also we've had 8 - 12 mph winds here past few days and the gate has slammed shut a couple of times. Everything's still tight.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: