Replacing landscape timbers with poured concrete

Old 04-07-21, 01:21 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing landscape timbers with poured concrete

The flower beds in front of the house are lined with landscape timbers that have already been replaced a couple of times and I'm tired of looking at them. Since I got a new mixer I want to take them out and put in a poured concrete wall instead. It will be a small series of walls ranging from 8 feet long and 12" high to the largest being 16 feet long and 32" high at one end tapering to about 4" on the other. Everything is purely decorative (nothing structural). For as small as it is I'm not planning on using rebar or wire. My questions are:
1. The timbers are 4" wide. Is that sufficient width for a concrete wall or should I go to 6"?
2. I'm certain there's not really a base under the timbers. My initial thought was about a 4" deep base of sand but I'm not a foundation guy. How much of a base do y'all recommend?
3. I'm pretty sure I can pull the timbers and it will leave the dirt in place, at least enough to put a piece of plywood for one side of the form. The other side is at the driveway, also concrete. Would concrete screws and and 2x2's provide enough gusset to hold the form in place?
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-07-21, 03:16 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 962 Votes on 883 Posts
The first thing to know about concrete is that it cracks. 16' long and 32" high you can expect cracking and without any steel there is nothing to hold it together, then put it on just a few inches of sand... you might as well plan on replacement as soon as you finish pouring it.

Why do you have a 32" high wall that is "not structural". Is it just standing vertically with nothing on either side or is it a retaining wall holding back dirt? If there is soil on the back side it will be VERY structural and a much more difficult application.

Keep in mind that you are replacing a flexible material (wood) with something absolutely rigid and unforgiving of movement. Not to be rude but I think some basic reading on how to work with concrete and masonry walls would be time well spent.

Old 04-13-21, 06:35 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
And this is why I should have known better than to post in a forum. This literally provided not one single answer or useful suggestion other than a "Git Gud" condescension.

Old 04-13-21, 10:17 AM
I
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
Here are your answers, I built a similar wall a few years ago.

1. No
2. A properly designed footing
3. Probably not. Concrete is heavy.

BTW: it is cracked and leaking. So I learned that if you aren't smart enough to plan it, plan to pay someone who is.

Last edited by I Mullins; 04-13-21 at 10:47 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: