Cleaning concrete

Old 04-08-21, 08:28 AM
T
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Cleaning concrete

I built this basement entrance in my home several years ago. It’s been rock solid. There is a small landing to a door exiting the main floor above it. By the second season after its construction I began to have issues with what appears to be algae and grime etc.

I assumed that this was due to lack of air movement. I installed an outdoor fan that runs on a timer for 15 minutes out of every hour. It does help a bit but not much.

two seasons ago I got out there with PPE and sprayed a bleach concentration over the walls and steps. It worked a little..... not great .....and as you can see it came back fairly quickly.

My question is… Is there a way to prevent this altogether? Something I can apply to the concrete?
my question is… Is there a way to prevent this altogether? Something I can apply to the concrete?

Would welcome any suggestions… Maybe a sealant of some sort?

Old 04-08-21, 08:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
There isn't anything you can do to prevent the algae growth except for regular cleaning. Spray it with bleach and then go over it with a pressure washer.

Old 04-08-21, 09:02 AM
Received 535 Votes on 495 Posts
Cool damp conditions are ripe for mold.

For roofs they use copper strips to leach copper sulfate to stop mold, I just looked and sure enough they make sprays with this to kill and halt it from coming back.

Have never used so I cant recommend!

Old 04-08-21, 09:19 AM
T
Received 7 Votes on 6 Posts
Copper strips.... I’ve never seen that. I’ll look into it

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: