Crack in basement floor - DIY repair?

Old 04-10-21, 07:27 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Crack in basement floor - DIY repair?

HI all

Any thoughts what that could be? House is from 1946. The floor behind the red line is leveled, but at front of the line starts raising up. There is some weird copper tube inside the crack that serves no apparent purpose.

I was just thinking to cut of this triangle portion and re-pour. Worried though about support column. About a foot away from it is where I was planning to make the cut

Old 04-10-21, 07:35 AM
Received 117 Votes on 101 Posts
weird copper tube inside the crack
Could be an oil line to a furnace or boiler from an oil tank added after the floor was poured. Possibly a propane line. Check both ends to make sure it is not active.

Old 04-12-21, 10:26 AM
E
I will def check it. But any thoughts on my plan to cut the whole piece out?

Old 04-12-21, 11:07 AM
Received 535 Votes on 495 Posts
Is it leaking wet? Why the desire to cut it out? I would thing some minor patching would be sufficient!

Old 04-12-21, 11:28 AM
E
It is not. As of now it is basically a big trip hazard. At one point years ago (don't know when) they have tried to patch the crack up but it opened up again. Because the outlined piece is not leveled but sloping up from the pillar toward the crack my future attempt to level the whole basement would seem to require a lot of leveler. See below.

Top part in green is what I would do to patch the crack. But then the red part still not leveled in relation to the floor where the pillar is. In the bottom part if I cut out the chunk and re-pour it it still will be not leveled but sloping the opposite direction. So if I'm to level the whole basement I would need to fill only up to the right end of the green line.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: