Best polymeric sand for pavers

Old 05-09-21, 09:55 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Best polymeric sand for pavers

Hi all,

Had a beautiful patio and walkway installed about three years ago. Pavers were Cambridge, polymeric sand was Alliance/Gator. Unfortunately the polymeric sand never set well in the bigger joints, always seemed rubbery, and has now washed away quite a bit from those locations. This was after an initial washout within a couple of weeks and the contractor re-applying the sand.

I went to the supplier of the products who had indicated Alliance improved the Gator products within the last year or so. Not sure I want to go back to them considering the issues I've seen. Planning to just pressure wash and "touch up" the bigger joints rather than re-do the whole patio since the rest of the sand is in good shape.

Can you recommend a suitable, solid polymeric sand so I can re-do these joints? Thanks.

Also - I have one capstone that has loosened and will probably pull up. Can you please also recommend best block adhesive to reinstall it?

Thanks!

Old 05-09-21, 10:58 AM
Received 535 Votes on 495 Posts
Have pretty much always used Gator sand, honestly it's a pretty basic product sand and binding agent, the application/installation is more critical than the product.

Any name brand block adhesive will work, just dont use a construction adhesive!

Old 05-09-21, 11:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
Polymeric is not good for big gaps. But, I've found it holds up pretty well if installed properly. I've used a couple different brands of Polymeric and they have all performed about the same. The installation/application is VERY important. The binders and sand particles can separate apart during installation which can create very weak areas. Also, using a vibratory plate compactor really helps a lot to get the sand to densely settle down into the joints before watering.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: