extending height of cement block wall fence

Old 05-10-21, 12:39 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
extending height of cement block wall fence

Hello! I am in the planning stage of extending my concrete fence from 6 to 8 ft to mitigate street noise. i have reached out to the city permit people (a requirement in Phoenix if you live next to a street) and they told me if I extend to 8 ft, that i would need an engineer and probably a redo of the wall because the current foundation wouldn't hold another 2 ft. Is that absolutely necessary or is there some way the current fence can be reinforced to hold another 2 feet height without tearing down the whole thing? Thank you in advance for any input.

Old 05-10-21, 02:09 PM
I
Received 24 Votes on 19 Posts
You may get lots of suggestions here, but the only one you will be able to use is one that will satisfy the permit people - and they've already told you what they want. Maybe a licensed engineer can convince them that the foundation is adequate.

Old 05-10-21, 03:55 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 970 Votes on 891 Posts
1. The Engineer will be able to answer your questions. They will determine if the footers in the ground are sufficient for a taller fence. Of course this all comes at a price.

2. My first step would be some research to determine the size of footer you would need for the 8' high fence. Then do some digging and see what you have in the ground. If the footer is too small you're going to need a big budget. I the existing footers are large enough then you can approach the inspections dept. about adding on top without an Engineer.

Old 05-11-21, 08:51 AM
T
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
Maybe the authorities will consider a lighter weight alternative. Maybe Aerated concrete masonry units or maybe frame and stucco. Might want to stucco the whole wall to match. Wind load is a consideration.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: