Fire pit filed with flagstone

Old 06-21-21, 05:57 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fire pit filed with flagstone

I moved into a new house with a very handsome outdoor firepit made of flagstone. The landscaper mentioned to me it wasn't a great material and I think he is right as the joints are cracking and falling away. Aside from that, when I went to clean out the ash in the firepit I found the firepit was filled with smaller fist sized pieces of broken flagstone. Maybe they did this to help with drainage? I am not sure, but I wanted to check if anyone knew I'd it is a big deal if I removed the flagstone chunks inside the base of the firepit so I could really clean out all the ash. Sometime in the future I may try to rebuild it out of a better material or add an air source, but right now it is very functional so the motivation is low.

Old 06-22-21, 03:04 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If anything like my firepit made of boulders, the heat will eventually cause them to break. You really dont need anything in the bottom, mine is plain old dirt!

Old 06-22-21, 05:04 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
I assume the stone pieces in the bottom of the tire pit started out as larger stones. You can remove them for cleaning but if the bottom of the pit is concrete you really should put something back to protect it from the heat. A layer of stone or if you keep a bed of coals in the pit it will work as well. Firebrick would probably be the most permenant thing you could like the pit with.

Old 06-22-21, 07:35 AM
H
Received 292 Upvotes on 250 Posts
I can confirm what's said above flagstone doesn't do well with high heat and will fracture.
Concrete- doesn't do so ell either- a simple lime+sand mortar will hold up well, and allow you to line the inside with simple bricks

Old 06-22-21, 07:38 AM
B
Thanks for the responses. To answer some questions, I have not gotten to the bottom, but I don't think there is concrete on the bottom because the surrounding patio is large pieces of non-jointed flagstone. I'm guessing whoever did all the flagstone work dumped their odd pieces in the pit at the end.

Does the dirt bottom start to retain water? I want to make sure I don't create a mosquito attraction.

Old 06-22-21, 08:28 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Does the dirt bottom start to retain water?
Dirt at the bottom of a fire pit is no different than dirt under your grass except ash collects and has to be cleaned out occasionally.

Old 06-22-21, 08:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
The dirt at the bottom of the pit will allow water to seep through. Also the ashes are very high in pH which is a good preventive against insects so I doubt you'll have mosquitoes in the ashes. You do not want to throw bottles or cans into the fire which could hold water for mosquitoes.

Old 06-22-21, 10:06 AM
B
Thanks a lot everyone for the quick responses!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: