Concrete Patio Slope Problem

Old 07-20-21, 05:57 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Concrete Patio Slope Problem

Long story short— HOA replaced basic concrete patio slab at my request. Company removed old slab from the 70s and replaced with same size slab. It was considered a “remove and replace” job. They did not make the slope of the slab 1-2 degrees, it is more like 4-5 degrees, so a noticeable feeling when standing on the sloped end. I complained and the owner of the company came out stating they replaced it with what was there before. True— the 50 year old slab was cracked and over sloped. Shouldn’t it be expected that the new concrete patio was leveled better than the 50 year old slab that was removed? We have clay soil and are located on a hill that sloped right to left and things shift, but I’m shocked they did not think to level it better. Contractor begrudgingly said he’s redo it if that is what I want. Debating if it’s worth it— another 1-2 days of inconvenience and noise and not super confident in this concrete company, but Concerned it will end up causing more issues when we decide to lay flagstone or another patio renovation down the road as other companies have come out for hardscaping quotes and were appalled by the job and said they’d need to redo/relabel. Feedback appreciated!

Old 07-20-21, 06:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,712 Upvotes on 1,536 Posts
It's usually typical to replace like for like. Changing slope often means you need to bring in more rock ($$$), compact it, and making the pad higher means you would have a drop off at the pad edges where you never had one before or it means you would need to bring in soil to grade the perimeter of the now higher pad.

No contractor is going to do all that if it was not discussed or included in the original bid. Anytime you change something you get the "it wasn't this way before" argument.

Old 07-20-21, 07:54 AM
R
Interesting! We already have a drop off about 5 inches high on one end and plan to fill once concrete situation is figured out.

Old 07-20-21, 12:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,766 Upvotes on 1,579 Posts
It all depends on you. I did a paver patio at my house and sloped it 3/4" per foot (1/4" is normal) to really get the water away from the house. 98% of our guests never notice even when I tell them to see if they can notice. Me, I notice. My engineer father and father-in-law noticed right away. The slope poses no problem and it doesn't bother me. But I do notice it.

Rachel L. voted this post useful.
Old 07-20-21, 12:46 PM
R
Thanks fo the reply, Pilot Dane. I wasn't bothered by it until I had contractors come by and give me estimates to lay flagstone on top and both remarked about the slope and the need to fix it. It got in my head.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: