What are these for?

Old 08-29-21, 11:21 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What are these for?

We bought our house in 2012. It has a 1961 boiler system that still works great. Outside we have this rubber membrane that goes over a thick foam that runs along the outside wall wherever there are baseboard rads that are in the inside of the house. Were they placed there to help insulate the pipes from freezing or was it to help them function more efficiently?

If we remove them will it cause an issue? Is this a normal thing to do when there are rads on a ground floor?

Last edited by PJmax; 08-29-21 at 11:36 AM. Reason: resized/enhanced/labeled pics
Old 08-29-21, 11:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I added to your pictures. The yellow line show the floor so the rads would be above that line. The connecting pipes could be below the line.

I have never seen any thing added to the outside of a home to protect the hydronic lines.
Perhaps a Canadian thing ?

We'll see if someone else can add some info.

Old 08-29-21, 03:19 PM
M
Thank you so much for adding those. We canít find anyone who have added these to the outside of their house. The people who originally owned the house were European so we thought maybe it was a UK thing. lol. Hoping someone could tell us if they have seen this before. We are going to be digging up all the bricks on the walkway next year and thought to also take that foam rubber trim off too. Just not sure whether we should be replacing it. I am thinking it was a homemade job.

Old 08-29-21, 11:53 PM
J
Received 125 Upvotes on 110 Posts
I've also never seen it done that way before, but if I had to guess it was to prevent water from getting in under the house and not to do with insulation.
To do that right to insulate it would have been done under the house.

Old 08-30-21, 01:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
Yes..... like Joe.... keeping water out was my first thought.

Old 08-31-21, 04:27 AM
B
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Minnesota's energy code requires insulation around the perimeter of any structure at the floor line and down to prevent cold transfer into the structure. If there's a basement, it's easy, all the insulation is inside. But if its a slab on grade, sometimes the insulation is on the outside. If it is on the outside, it has to be protected from weather and UV deterioration. I've never seen a solution like this, but I bet that was someone's solution. If you remove it, I would suggest you find something to replace it. so you maintain the insulation. Under certain conditions, I've seen frost on interior concrete slabs where there's no insulation.

Old 09-06-21, 01:51 PM
M
The strange thing is, it doesnít go around the entire perimeter of the concrete slab (no basement or crawl space below). It also has some on the other side of our house that has pipes at ceiling level so we assume itís for insulating the pipes? But if we were to replace it, we donít even know how to go about that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: