Using Concrete Bonding Adhesive

Old 09-15-21, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using Concrete Bonding Adhesive

Good day. Maybe I am over-thinking this. This is my first work with stucco. I want to repair the stucco that exist over the brick chimney. The area of concern (estimated to be 48" wide x 4" high x 1-2" deep) is just above the foundation base for the chimney. I plan to brush on a coat of Concrete Bonding Adhesive (CBA) to the existing exposed area. Per the Quikrete manufactures instructions this would be undiluted. I also have received recommendations to add some CBA to the stucco I mix up. And that's my stumbling block. I am not finding any water-to-CBA mixing ration recommendations on the Quikrete web site or the internet. When mixing up a small batch of stucco (LaHabra), 5 or 10 lbs, How much CBA is appropriate to add without causing the stucco mix to become too thin ?
For example, if I mix up 5 Lbs of stucco, I calculate I should be using 12 oz (1.5c) water (+/-). Mixing up 10 Lbs, I should start with 24 oz (3c) water.
Thank you in advance, David.

Old 09-15-21, 02:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Generally the bonding agent is substituted for an equal quantity of water when added to the mix. I would think the bonding agent or mix would specify the add mixture in the instructions.

Example

Old 09-16-21, 12:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the timely response. This is very helpful. Yes, the manufacture of the stucco mix does specify how much water to use with the aggregate, 1.5 gal water for 80 lbs mortar mix. Assuming the ratio is linear, this works out to 192 oz to 80 lbs or 2.4 oz per pound (as a starting point). I recognize the final ratio will be 'those' amounts to establish the appropriate consistency.. Thank you for your time and response.

Old 09-16-21, 01:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
If I was going by the instructions in that example, I would probably use a whole quart (32oz) with 1 80 lb bag of stucco mix. So the ratio would be 1:5 if you were using 1 qt of CBA and 5 qt of water to equal 1.5 gal of liquid to mix an 80 lb bag.

Those example instructions also contain a lot of helpful cautions... like not working in the sun, (dries too fast) not retempering the mix, (adding water if it starts to get stiff) etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: