Digging around basement to put in drainage and waterproof

Old 09-23-21, 04:50 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Digging around basement to put in drainage and waterproof

I have a house built 1959. Ranch with basement. I am going to be excavating around basement and putting in perforated corrugated 4 with washed 57s as backfill. I am trying to figure out best waterproof option. I still have to straighten the block walls from inside using steel beams. Should I use rubberized fibered foundation coating, fibered foundation coating, or non fibered foundation coating. I plan on putting 6 mil plastic sheeting I too of whatever I use. I do t want to ever have a problem again. Ever. Thanks ahead for the advice!!

Old 09-23-21, 08:06 AM
B
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
The best waterproofing system you can use is a 60 mil, self-adhering, rubberized sheet waterproofing. That's then covered by a protection board prior to backfilling. That's the system our office always specified for our commercial building designs. Carlisle is one of a few manufacturers.

Old 09-23-21, 08:16 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
There are several options. You can apply a premium waterproof coating to the outside of the wall/foundation. Then there are spun mats or egg crate plastic sheets which provide a path for water to freely flow down to the drainage pipe.

6 mil plastic is pretty thin for underground use. It might be marginally OK if you are super careful when installing it to avoid cuts and pin pricks. You would also need to protect it somehow as backfilling and installing stone can be enough to puncture it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: