Concrete Basement Floor

Old 10-05-21, 02:11 PM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Concrete Basement Floor

I'm in the process of setting up a home recording studio in the basement of our new house. The current floor is concrete. The concrete has been painted an ugly grey color. It is not perfectly smooth - uneven bits here and there. If I were to lay hardwood or laminate or LVP over it, I'd need to level it or use a self leveling concrete, but I don't think I'm up for that. But before I hire a pro to do that, I wanted to investigate just using the existing floor and making it more cosmetically appealing.

A concrete floor is not at all a bad thing for a recording room. And while it is too unlevel to lay floor planks over it, it'd be fine otherwise. I just think the floor is really ugly as is. I love the idea of acid stain, but to do that I'd have to grind off all the paint, etc., and I REALLY don't want to mess around with that. Can anyone here recommend any types of finish that can be applied over a painted concrete floor? Maybe there are paints and glazes I could use that would be sturdy enough for a floor and capture some of the look of acid stain (i.e. variation)? Seems like there's gotta be something I could do without having to use a messy, noisy grinder or pay an expensive contractor...

Old 10-05-21, 03:34 PM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
If it has a coat of paint then it has to come up to do anything else.

How about area rugs!

Old 10-05-21, 03:37 PM
J
Thanks, Marq. That's what I was afraid of. I could paint over it though, right? Just to get it to a nicer color...

And then yes, area rugs for sure! :-)

Old 10-05-21, 04:37 PM
Received 17 Votes on 15 Posts
There's basement/ garage floor finishing companies that may be able to smooth or grind down portions of the floor and apply an epoxy coating that looks professional.
BTW, I have a studio and you don't want a concrete floor if you intend to record there unless you put rugs or the like on the floor to absorb sound reflections.

Old 10-05-21, 06:50 PM
J
Thanks, maarkr. There will definitely be area rugs. I have a big one that will take up a large part of the room.

Just trying to decide at this point whether I want to pay a little money and paint the concrete a different color or spend more money and have a floor finishing company come in and do the job...

Old 10-06-21, 11:04 AM
Received 43 Votes on 38 Posts
You don't say how big a difference there is in the floor level to say for sure but would stick down carpet squares work?
Or would floor underlayment padding level it out?

Old 10-06-21, 03:27 PM
J
Thanks, Ben. The adjacent room had a more even floor and underlayment leveled it out pretty well. I put vinyl plank down there and it worked quite well. More uneven in this room. It would definitely need to be leveled properly for any sort of plank flooring. Carpet squares would work, but it's not a look I would like.

I've read that if the paint on the concrete is adhered well to the concrete below, you can put an epoxy over it. I might try that and mix two or three pigments to get sort of a mottled, distressed look. Does this sound like a good plan? Grinding the floor down to remove the paint is just not an option unfortunately.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: