Temporary drainage on top of brick patio

Old 01-19-22, 08:49 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Temporary drainage on top of brick patio

I'm looking for a quick and somewhat temporary solution to keep some water away from the low spot on the brick patio. This is "temporary" because, within the next year, I plan on tearing out all the bricks and putting in a new patio there.

This puddle forms after every rain and sits in the low spot. We have not had any water in the basement since I patched up the bottom of that wall with hydraulic cement, but I think the best plan is to get the water away from that area completely. There is a noticeable hump in the bricks. I assume that has happened over time -- the house was built in 1988 and I bought it like this in 2020.

Can I put some sort of concrete on top of the bricks to level it with the hump (which is about 3 feet from the house)? You can kind of see the contour in the wet picture.

Also, note that the moisture up the side of the siding is due to a snow storm. (We get some in MD, but not an extreme amount.)

Last edited by tollhaus; 01-19-22 at 08:53 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 01-19-22, 10:01 AM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
If it's going to be replaced soon then why spend any time or effort?

Is the water coming from a downspout, you could extend but it's still going to get wet from rain and melting snow!

Old 01-19-22, 10:42 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
Redo the patio and grade it so water runs away from the house & steps. If you want a butt ugly temporary repair pour some topping or patching concrete mix on the low area.

Old 01-19-22, 11:56 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Water mostly comes from rain on the patio -- it just flows downhill toward the house and sits there. There is an overflow off the 2nd story roof valley where it meets the gutter corner. That's a separate issue that I'm looking to address.

If the solution is easy enough, it's worth some effort. I just never know how long it will take for us to actually get moving on that new patio. In the meantime, I'm worried about water sitting there and seeping down through the basement walls. So worth the ugly in the meantime.

Old 01-26-22, 04:55 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
You don't need a new patio. Just rip the old pavers out. Pitch it away from the house and put the pavers back. Done.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: