Repair Stone Wall

Old 02-28-22, 09:35 AM
K
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Repair Stone Wall

This photo is from my sonís house. I havenít seen this first hand but from the picture it looks like there may not be enough of a footing between the house and the drain to provide an adequate foundation for the wall. I also wonder if there are any ties between the stone and the sheathing.
i suspect tearing the ďleaning town of PisaĒ down and starting from scratch is necessary but am unsure how to prevent a reoccurrence and your suggestions are much appreciated.

Old 02-28-22, 10:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,977 Votes on 2,686 Posts
I agree..... improper footing and lack of tie straps to the sheathing.

Doesn't look you'll be able to get much of a footing there.
You'll be able to see better when the stone is removed..... or falls over.

Old 02-28-22, 11:38 AM
Received 952 Votes on 864 Posts
I am no experts in all the variations of installations but I did my shed 2 years ago using the faux face stone, shich is very common in current housing today. It would be an option in this case because the material does not sit on the ground, it hangs from the wall.

Very specific guidelines.

https://ncma.org/resource/msv-installation-guide/

Old 02-28-22, 12:52 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,572 Votes on 1,413 Posts
With the stone facade overhanging the drain you know there isn't a footer under there. I would photograph and mark each stone so you can re-install them in the same locations. Then I would demo the area being careful to not damage the stones. Then I'd thoroughly remove the old mortar from the stones, maybe even with some muriatic acid. Before rebuilding the veneer make sure there is a proper water barrier on the wall and sufficient strapping to attach the rebuilt wall.

jeweler voted this post useful.
Old 02-28-22, 07:36 PM
N
I have a question, why is the sheathing there? It's brick behind it. I think you just need to remove the sheathing, place some sort of weep screed to hold the bottom stones, and mortar the stones directly to the brick. I have seen an old pro use concrete screws to tie the stones to the wall as insurance. If i were you, that's what i would do to fix the problem.

Old 03-01-22, 02:06 PM
K
Thanks everyone for your comments and ideas. Great idea about taking a pic before teardown. Just confirmed that the brick ends at the corner and isnít behind the stone. Thereís more stone on the house not seen in the pic so I donít think weíd want to pursue the faux stone option. Otherwise that would be a great application.

Old 03-01-22, 02:30 PM
N
Honestly, these stones are way too big. Look out of place. I would build the wall up with red brick. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: