10x12 Concrete slab pricing for DIY?

Old 03-18-22, 05:35 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
10x12 Concrete slab pricing for DIY?

I want to make a 10x12 slab for a shed i'm going to build. But i don't know how much concrete i need for that, nor if i need special concrete with fibre glass or anything like that.

Will i also need rebar for such a small area?

I asked a professional to do it for me, but he charged me $2800. Seems a bit high imo.
If someone could tell me how much the products would cost if i did a DIY, then it would really help since then i would know how much he's charging me for labor.

How much would the concrete cost?
How much would rebar cost if needed?

Thank you very much!

Last edited by cementnoobie; 03-18-22 at 06:01 AM.
Old 03-18-22, 07:35 AM
W
Received 51 Votes on 46 Posts
What will be the thickness of the slab?

cementnoobie voted this post useful.
Old 03-18-22, 07:59 AM
C
I'm not sure what thickness is recommended. I'm new to this.

Old 03-18-22, 08:00 AM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
https://www.concretenetwork.com/conc...calculator.htm

No rebar or fiberglass, maybe some wire mesh. Normal slab would be 4" unless something really heavy like a spa.

$2800 seems like a bargain, flat work is the one job i wont do, it's a back breaker.

Remember the amount of concrete needed has to be hauled home, moved, lifted, mixed, spread, not like throwing a couple bags in the trunk.

Old 03-18-22, 08:17 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,561 Votes on 1,404 Posts
Your question is largely just... math. You know the size of slab you want, 10' x 12' and probably 4" thickness so it's easy to calculate the volume. Or you can cheat and use a calculator available on many bag concrete companies websites like this one at Quickrete. Then see what bags of mix cost in your area. Then you need some forms so you'll need wood and stakes, again very easy to add up. Add in rental of a mixer (I hope you have a vehicle to pull it), another easy one to price. And doing it with bags means you have to move fast so you'll need a couple helpers whether they get paid in beer or dollars.

The difficult part to figure is the site prep. How level is where you want your pad? Will there need to be any excavation or bringing in stone? Then look at accessibility. Can a big heavy truck get right next to your pour to deliver tons of bags or ready mix?

Old 03-18-22, 08:46 AM
Received 946 Votes on 859 Posts
Can a big heavy truck get right next to your pour to deliver tons of bags or ready mix?
They can usually buggy it it but they the yard gets some damage. It's a lot of work especially if you've never done it before.

A sidewalk is pretty easy, small volume. divided up, a slap is all hands on deck!

Old 03-18-22, 10:29 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 284 Posts
I wouldn't pour a slab that side by myself. 70 bags of concrete sounds like way more work than I'd want to do on my own.

Even with a cement mixer. it would be difficult to pour and level before it starts hardening. I'm sure an experienced person could make it work, but it's worth considering just getting a partial truckload of concrete.

Old 03-18-22, 12:10 PM
C
Thank you for all the replies.

I did do the math in terms of calculating how many bags of concrete i needed. I thought of a number between 60-70 bags of 45 lbs.

I didn't know if i needed to use rebar for this size. I also don't know how much rebar i would need if any and what the cost of that would be. So i'm not trying to be lazy and post here without putting in any effort myself. There's just a lot i don't know.

If this project is too big for a DIY beginner situation, then it would still be helpful to know the product costs.
Because then i know how much they basically charge me for labor. But if no rebar is needed, then i assume it's 70 bags of $5 concrete, so $350 dollars in terms of product cost. (minus delivery etc)

I got a quote for $2800. But i've seen other people online saying they were quoted for $1600. I just wanted to gain some information so i won't get ripped off if i do hire a professional.

Thank you once again for all the relies! It helps a lot. You guys make this forum great! Most helpful community online!

Old 03-18-22, 04:05 PM
A
Received 64 Votes on 56 Posts
would probably call your local concrete companies and see what their minimum order is, looks like you need 1.5 cubic yards for a 4 inch slab could increase the thickness to 5.5 and get you up over 2 cubic yards, probably overkill for a shed 8 inches would put you very close to 3 yards but it may greatly reduce labor if it gets you over the minimum to have a truck deliver it, could also think of other ways to use that much concrete like build a bigger shed.
this is assuming you can get a mixing truck or trailer to the site.
but using bags of premix concrete and mixing in a small mixer is very labor-intensive looks like 67 80 lb bags or a lot more bags if using smaller bags so you may find a wide range based on labor alone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: