Gaps between bricks

Old 04-05-22, 10:33 AM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gaps between bricks

Hello folks, hope all is well.
Below, you can see pics of the bricks under my front porch. As you can see, the concrete between the bricks is disappearing. Is there concrete that stores sell that I can buy and fill in these gaps? Is the entire fix as simple as filling in the gaps or is there more to the job?
Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-05-22, 11:08 AM
Received 1,099 Upvotes on 999 Posts
Google Tuck Pointing, that is the name of the process used to re-fill the gaps.

Old 04-05-22, 11:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,759 Upvotes on 1,572 Posts
You need to re-point your bricks. Easiest would be to use a mix where you only need to add water. Type N would be fine but I can guarantee the color will not match. The one vertical joint with bright white/gray mortar looks like it is a relative recent repair. Since you have so much area to do paying attention to the appearance of the mortar and technique to apply it will help the finished appearance a lot.

Most of your mortar joints are deeply recessed so you see the mortar less. The repair done flush to the surface really stands out. Using a color matched mortar will help as will using the same technique as the rest of the wall.

I assume you are not experienced at masonry work. Mortar will leave white marks on your bricks if it even touches the bricks. You need to be VERY careful to not get mortar on the face of the bricks because it will really stand out in a few days when it dries. Tuck pointing is easy enough but you might do better with a mortar bag to squirt the mortar into the joints. Then after the appropriate waiting time a good brushing with a wire brush to knock down the joints.

Old 04-06-22, 08:25 AM
R
This is the OP. Thanks for the replies!

Can I use PL Premium 10 fl. oz. Polyurethane Construction Adhesive instead of mortar, between the bricks?
OR
How about Quikrete Mortar Joint Sealant or Sikaflex Mortar Fix Sealant or
QUIKRETE Mortar Gray Acrylic 10-oz Repair ?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-...0595/202020473

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quikrete...2018/203604184

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sikaflex...-300934529-_-N

https://www.lowes.com/pd/QUIKRETE-10...Repair/3043222

Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-06-22, 08:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,759 Upvotes on 1,572 Posts
"Can I use PL Premium 10 fl. oz. Polyurethane Construction Adhesive instead of mortar, between the bricks?"
You can use whatever you want but it won't be correct and it will look bad. There is no squeeze from a tube product to make a proper repair. You need mortar.

remodel566 voted this post useful.
Old 04-06-22, 10:09 AM
R
What about:

Quikrete Mortar Joint Sealant or
Sikaflex Mortar Fix Sealant or
QUIKRETE Mortar Gray Acrylic 10-oz Repair?

Thank you

Old 04-06-22, 12:19 PM
R
I just contacted Quikrete and this is what they said:

Both QUIKRETEŽ ADVANCED POLYMER MORTAR JOINT SEALANT or QUIKRETEŽ Mortar Repair (No. 8620) can be used to tuck point the areas if it is less than a 1/2 inch in depth. If it is a full depth joint repair we suggest using a actual mortar like the Quikrete Mason Mix Type S Mortar #1136

Old 04-06-22, 07:23 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 364 Upvotes on 326 Posts
I too would recommend proper mortar. It comes in 10-20lb boxes/buckets and is easy to mix.

re-pointing bricks is not difficult, but it does take some practice and a few tools to get the mortar into the joints, and then tooled (smoothed).

You can use masking tape on the bricks to help keep the mortar off the face of the bricks.

I would also use:
Margin Trowel to take the mortar out of the bucket and hold it next to the gaps
Tuck Pointing Trowel to push the mortar off the margin trowel "shelf" into the gaps
Jointer to smooth the finished joint

remodel566 voted this post useful.
Old 04-07-22, 07:22 AM
R
Can I use the following for mortar?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rapid-Se...0025/202207958

The reason I am pro squeeze out of a tube is because I am not sure what ratio of water/sand/gravel needs to be used for the mortar. I figured the guys who make the squeeze tube products already did that ratio math for me.

Old 04-07-22, 09:44 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 364 Upvotes on 326 Posts
This is exactly what I'd use. It's pre-mixed with sand/lime/cement, all you have to do is add water.
It's considered a Type N mix which is what you want (Type S is stronger for higher strength use which you don't want/need for this)

I'd get a small 1gallon bucket as well, put about a cup of powdered mix in and add a little water at a time and mix. Keep adding a bit of water until it gets to a consistency that is wet enough to be shaped, but still dry enough to not collapse under its own weight.

It's really easy to mix, just don't add too much water upfront or you'll end up adding lots more powder to get the consistency you want.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: