What tool to "remove" metal post from concrete slab?

Old 06-08-22, 08:23 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What tool to "remove" metal post from concrete slab?

Hey all,

I have the remnants of 2 metal posts mounted in a concrete slab leaving a lip of ~ 1/8" - 1/2". The remaining lip of metal was hammered "in" to smooth out the edge.

It's a problem for snow clearing, slight tripping hazard, and right in the middle of our "patio" area

I would like to have a smooth circular interior edge and the remaining posts as level with the concrete as possible.

What tools would you recommend to hammer the folded metal back "out"

Can I then file down the remaining steel with an angle grinder?

Old 06-08-22, 10:02 AM
Received 1,061 Upvotes on 963 Posts
If it's as low as 1/8" above the surface then the only thing your going to be able to use is the grinder, saws wont get that low.

And just so you know as you grind your probably going to take some cement with it. Once done you could plug the pipe and fill it and the void in the concrete with epoxy to make is somewhat level!

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 06-08-22, 08:43 AM
Received 648 Upvotes on 573 Posts
You could get a cut off saw. But that will take a decent unit to get fluch with the surface. I would chop out the concrete all around the pipe and then cut off below level. Then repatch with new cement.

Old 06-08-22, 08:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,708 Upvotes on 1,525 Posts
You can cut the pipe off flush with a grinder or reciprocating saw.

Old 06-08-22, 09:04 AM
S
I have both an angle grinder and recip saw

Any reco which is best? or regarding blades or grinding discs?

Old 06-08-22, 09:13 AM
T
Received 64 Upvotes on 59 Posts
I'd use a sawzall w/12" metal blade to take off most of it, then use the grinder to smooth it down to your liking. Chip that little piece of concrete off so it doesn't interfere w/either of the blades. 5 minutes tops.

Old 06-08-22, 01:56 PM
B
Received 227 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Difficult to determine size in the pics. Can you get a bite with a large pipe wrench and try to rotate the pipe back and forth enough to loosen and remove? Another approach if you didn't want rust bleeding through and there is clearance below the bottom of the pipe is to cut 2 or 3 slots through the pipe wall using the sawzall and remove pieces. Patch as needed.

Old 06-14-22, 07:47 AM
S
Thanks everyone for the useful advice.

I don't have any blades that would cut flush to the concrete, so I decided to go with the grinder alone.

I couldn't get to some edges without taking away a bit of concrete, but managed to get both pipes almost entirely to/below the grade of the concrete.

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: