Gap between home & driveway; replacing seal

Old 09-13-22, 09:54 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gap between home & driveway; replacing seal

I'd like to replace the seal that fills a gap between my driveway and the exterior brick home.

I'm most concerned with the south facing wall (facing asphalt, lower left corner) as it is exposed to the elements and is most deteriorated. I would also repalce the east facing portion (with the gas, sealing between brick and concrete block. On the far left in the photo, you can see that the seal disappears under the stucco, where it's more protected.

It currently seems like a tar like substance, but it's dried, cracked and some pieces are missing.

What should I use to replace this seal?

Old 09-13-22, 04:55 PM
C
Received 28 Votes on 23 Posts
The original product was probably asphalt soaked wood fiber strips called concrete expansion joint strips. You can buy them at most big box stores, but it can be hard to install them into existing joints. As you've seen, they eventually deteriorate and crumble.

There are flexible seals available that are much easier to install and IMO work better on retrofits. Here's an example:
https://www.pavepatch.com/slabgasket...CABEgKYjfD_BwE

That manufacturer offers various widths and depths to accommodate different situations.

A search for concrete expansion joint strips will find you many other options.

steeLBanJoes voted this post useful.
Old 09-13-22, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 2,957 Votes on 2,668 Posts
I don't see enough of a gap to get expansion joint material back in.
I see a lot of sand at the bottom of the wall. Is that from water pooling there ?
That isn't good.

Old 09-14-22, 05:07 AM
S
Thanks CT, I'll take a look at what I can find in flexible seals.

PJ, fortunately the grading is good and water moves away from the house. The sand is between the old sealant and the house. Part of the glad here is to seal up the outside "well enough" that can check for any moisture intrusion downstairs.

Old 09-21-22, 06:26 AM
S
I've done a better job of sweeping and vacuuming out the gap.

PJ you're right, the space is very irregular, so flexible seals will not work.

I think what I need is something liquid, but not such that it makes it's way down the cracks between the bricks. Maybe some combination of 2 products bc I believe a typical sealant might drain away through the grooves of the brick.

Reminder that I'm looking for a 1-2 year fix & am willing to do this seasonally until I can afford to do the driveway.

If anyone can recommend an alternative strategy or products(s) I would appreciate it

original sealant broken & removed

edge of original sealant

original sealant still in place, pulled away from wall

Old 09-21-22, 08:18 AM
S
Leaning towards something like this:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/fle...-lb/1001577638

Old 09-24-22, 07:52 AM
K
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Watch this... 409 actually works..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBc2SXiEtd8

steeLBanJoes voted this post useful.
Old 09-24-22, 08:47 AM
C
Received 28 Votes on 23 Posts
Another option is Big Stretch Caulk.

Old 09-26-22, 08:52 AM
S
Great video KeithL, thanks. I could have used some of the tips around wet tooling beforehand. I ended up using the Flex Paste, since I could get it in large volume & the space I needed to fill is quite large. It looks a bit sloppy at each point where I switched to the next tub of paste, but 100x better than before and we just had some heavy rain & works great.

I'm going to replace the control joint between by garage and concrete slab driveway before the winter & will use these strategies & something like 409.

If anyone has advice around dry tooling a sealant like flex paste, I'd be happy to hear them.

Old 09-26-22, 09:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,372 Posts
Not familiar with flex paste, but if it's oil based, a spray bottle filled with paint thinner and an appropriate sized putty knife works well for tooling. If the crack is level, I would always be using quart tubes of a self leveling Crack filler, like PL S20.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: