Porch wall repair…mortar or cement?

Old 09-30-22, 04:45 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Porch wall repair…mortar or cement?

New to the forum, but after a frustrating afternoon I need some help. There is some degradation on the side wall of a front porch, and was hoping to repair it today with 2 bags of Quikcrete Q Max Pro cement. I even called them to see if this was appropriate as I already had the bags. He assured me it was, and told me to wait 48 hrs if I needed to do multiple layers. I properly scraped and cleaned, and used a bonding agent. I knew it was going to be a s**tstorm when I saw all the aggregate and stone in the mix. I could get nowhere near a peanut butter type consistency and nothing would stick. I was going to mesh it after the first layer as well. I just gave up when I couldn’t get it to any proper form. Any thoughts on the proper material to use here? The max depth is probably about 2-3 inches at the worst point. Thanks!

Old 10-01-22, 06:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,461 Posts
The fast setting concrete you got would probably be good for a deep, horizontal patch but will be a real bugger on a vertical surface. I would use mortar instead. Type S would be fine and is probably closer to what was there originally.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: